Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Walking

I did my 10 miles today. Finally a long run completed. I'm almost one month into marathon training. That is exciting, but I'd be happier if I'd done more runs on my training schedule. As of today, I'm feeling ok with the thought of completing the marathon in October.

When I went out this morning, I told myself that it didn't matter if I took walk breaks, I just needed to finish 10 miles. My schedule said to run it at a 12:14 pace. Because of that, I took walk breaks whenever I felt like it. It did slow me down, but my pace was a little bit better than required. I am going to allow myself to take walk breaks on long runs from now on (and attempt to not walk on other runs). Walk breaks don't have to be the enemy. While I'd love to be able to run 26.2 miles straight, it's not likely. I'm also throwing my goal of 5 hours out the window. I just want to complete the marathon. At this point, that will be really hard work. I'd love to be under 5 hours, and I'd be super happy with under 5:20, but really, as long as I complete it, and they still have medals left, I'll be happy. I'll have a personal record, no matter how long it takes me. :)

As a side note, sometimes it's good to look in the mirror both before and after a run. I had put my shorts on inside out. Pretty funny. I love these new shorts though - they are Under Armour. They feel like silk; they are tight like bicycle shorts, and have a 7" inseam - long enough to prevent chafing, short enough to still be shorts. I'm hoping they go on sale in the fall/winter and I can get another couple of pairs for next year. When I returned home, I looked in the mirror and noticed the pink shirt I was wearing had splotches of wet... one around the neck, my whole stomach, and my back - everywhere that my sports bra didn't cover. It is a moisture wicking top, but the fabric sure shows the sweat! Remind me not to wear this shirt at a race! Too bad, I love the length and the way it fits.

Distance: 10:01
Time: 1:59:05
Pace: 11:54

1 comment: