Saturday, July 3, 2010

Five Miler

My http://www.runnersworld.com/ training schedule said I should run 5 miles today. My middle 3 miles should be at a pace of 10:35.

I had a hard time falling asleep last night, and when my alarm went off at 6:00, I shut it off. As I laid there, I decided I'd run this afternoon, after work, because 6 am is just wrong on a Saturday. After about 20 minutes, I realized how irritated I'd be after work, knowing that I needed to do a 5 mile run in 82 degree weather, so I jumped up and frantically threw my clothes on. I drank a glass of water and took off out the door. I was nervous that I would be late for work, but I figured I should enjoy the run anyway.

Today was a glorious run. I love runs like this. I pushed hard, and when I did, my body responded. I floated through my neighborhood; no leg pain, no lung pain, just pleasure. I managed to do my middle three miles at close to a 10:00 pace, sometimes quicker. I was amazed when my iPod told me, but I just kept going at that comfortable pace!

I was able to get ready for work and leave a few minutes early even, so I stopped for a tea on the way.

Second marathon training run. Two great runs in a row.

Distance: 5.01
Time: 51:34
Pace: 10:17

3 comments:

  1. Nice! Good work! Can't wait for the day when I 'float through my neighbourhood'. Love that image! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! Since I had to scrap my July 10K plans due to scheduling issues, I have been frustrated trying to find a different 10K to do this year. This morning I realized that if we leave immediately when Mike gets home from one work trip for the next work trip (which is close to where we lived before so it allows us a couple days with family and friends), I can run a 5 mile race there - on very hilly terrain - and run with old friends ;) Considering I am in flat land here, that will probably be harder than any 10K I could find here. We'll see how the schedule works out, but I'm excited about the prospect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! Thelma, I can't wait for you to have a run like that too! It'll happen soon! :)

    Merry, that's awesome! I hope it works out for you to do that race! Those hills - gah! I don't like them. hehe

    ReplyDelete