Wednesday, January 27, 2010

8 Mile

I ran 8 mile(s) today, but strangely enough, I did not see Eminem. Weird. Maybe next week!

I had the option to do my long run yesterday, but wimped out and took a rest day. I should have cross-trained, but just didn't want to. So there.

This morning I woke up and the temperature was in the teens!! The wind chill was in the single digits... it warmed up a little as the day went on, but with a temperature that "feels like" 12F, I'm not interested in running outside! I do have the necessary gear, but I'm new to winter running. Maybe next year I will be that hard core, and go out anyway, but not this year.

Because I didn't do my long run yesterday, I HAD to do it today, so on the treadmill I went. Groan! I broke it up... the first mile was fine, "I can do this seven more times! No problem!" Then I hit 2 miles, "I only have to do that three more times! No problem!" Then I hit 3 miles... "I'll take a walk break at the half way point... Phew!" Four miles came and went... "I can keep going!" Mile 5 felt great! "I'm almost at a 10k!" Mile six hit... "this sucks!" Mile six and a half, "I need to walk. I HAVE to walk! I'm pressing 4mph!!! NO! Run till 7 miles... you can do it! You ran 7 miles last week without stopping - you're not even there yet!" Mile 7 came... "my arms feel limp! I can barely lift my cup of Gatorade! I might pass out!" Mile 7 and a half... "I can't do this. I'll walk the last half mile... I can't run anymore!! HIT STOP! Hey there, wait a minute... how are you going to improve if you take the easy way out? You're almost there! Run the WHOLE 8 miles and then you will be hard core!! HARD CORE!!!" Then I prayed.

I ran the whole thing! Phew! It was rough. The treadmill is so mental... have I mentioned that before? I ran 7 miles outside last week and felt great. I barely had to convince myself to keep going. I keep my mind occupied by looking at houses and yards and cars and people. And also being careful not to trip and fall over a curb or stick. But that treadmill... there's nothing but that blank, off-white wall to stare at, and the same old 15 songs to listen to...

I hope it warms up soon so I can get back out there and maintain my sanity! Apparently, it is also time for Body Glide to return! I think last year, I needed it at the 10-mile mark... but this year, I guess it's 8 miles or more!

Distance: 8.02 miles
Time: 1:28:22
Pace: 11:01
Weight: 150.0 (Yes, I gained! I'm hoping next week, I'm back in the 140's, forever. Well, until I hit the 130's)

No comments:

Post a Comment