Saturday, April 17, 2010

Race Day!

Me and Susan after finishing an AWESOME 5k!


I had a great 5k race today! I was purposeful in drinking extra water yesterday, in hopes that my calves would not hurt. It worked! I did not sleep very well on Thursday or Friday night however, which may be why I'm so exhausted right now!

The temperature on Thursday was record breaking... I think it was in the 80's. I woke up today at 5 am and had to put another blanket on me. It was in the high 30's - low 40's. I would have bee ok with 50's or 60's! It was pretty chilly!

Two friends ran with me. We started out together and each ended up on our own pace. We all did great! I'm proud of all of us. :)
Personally, I enjoyed it! At about 2 miles, I felt like I could use a walk break, but refused to do it. I loved passing people- that made me feel fast! They changed the course a little this year, and I liked it better. I did ask myself at about that 2 mile marker, "Is this fun?" I didn't have a real answer at the time, but once I crossed the finish line, I had a resounding, "YES!" as a response!

The only thing I didn't like about the race was that they stopped you IMMEDIATELY after the finish line to remove your little tag for the prize drawing. I wanted/needed to cool down and walk around for a minute, but they stopped you about 10 feet after the finish line. That's my only complaint. Other than that, it was great! My friend, Susan, also did fantastic!! This is the first race we've both done where we haven't stopped at all. That is a great achievement!

I had a personal record today!! Though I would have loved to shave 12 more seconds off of that time, and get under 30 minutes, I beat last year's time by over 3 minutes, and over 1 minute off my previous personal record. So I am very happy with my time.

As is normal, we went to Panera afterwards. I had a delicious sandwich! I'm not a big egg fan. I'm not a big meat fan, especially bacon and ham. I'm not a big bagel fan. But for some reason, this looked like the perfect sandwich after such a great race, so I had it. It was SO good!!





My official results: 30:11 (Pace 9:44/mile). I must have entered my age incorrectlly - I'm only 33!



Now, onto the 10k for June 5th!

1 comment: