Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Ice Cream Truck

I went out for a 10k today, looking forward to running more than 3.1 miles like I've been doing this week.

The first mile and a half was brutal. It always seems to be. I ask myself if I'm really a runner; I have to convince myself to continue each step; I test my resolve to complete my run. After a mile and a half or so, I get loosened up and things start to feel more natural. Things felt so much better after that.

And then I saw it. The Ice Cream Truck. Actually, I heard the music first. "Don't Worry, Be Happy" blared through the subdivision, drowning out Coldplay on my iPod. I wondered what on earth was going on... I looked around and saw the truck. I grumbled to myself... figures! It literally followed me down three blocks, taunting me the entire way. "You know you want to stop and at least look!! Did you bring any cash? You could stop, have an ice cream and then keep on your run! Hey fatty - I'm talking to you!!"

I thought about how funny it must have looked to the neighbors... seeing a girl run down the street being chased by an ice cream truck. I ran faster and turned a corner. It didn't follow, but I saw it again a few miles later. I really think it was trying to sabotage me.

I didn't get any ice cream, but I did have a personal record, which totally cracks me up!

Distance: 6.21 miles
Time: 1:04:05
Pace: 10:19

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! The ice cream truck in our town usually plays "Do Your Ears Hang Low?" It has never chased me,though!

    ReplyDelete