Saturday, September 18, 2010

Ten Miles

I debated running at the beach or the creek or the hood, and the hood won out! I called a friend on the phone before I was going to leave for the beach, and we ended up talking longer than we thought, which was awesome. I then decided not to bother wasting an hour of just driving time, so I just went out the front door. That's the good thing about running - you don't have to go to a trail, though sometimes it's easier, mentally.

I realized today that when I run in my subdivision, I tend to get bored. When I get bored, I walk. I don't push. Running in my neighborhood can be quite boring. I made myself look at it as a long run... a ten mile run. No excuses, finish the run.

I took a bunch of different loops this time, which helped it go by faster. There were a couple of loops I did three times. I think that's my limit for a loop! Any more would probably cause me to "accidentally" trip, fall into someone's yard, and nap.

I felt good tonight, though my shins were sore for the first couple of miles, and then my calves were screaming by about eight miles. At nine miles, I decided to stop... my legs started to slow, and I quickly chose to push through. I ran the whole ten miles. To quote Diego Sanchez, "YES!"

The second half of the run was much slower than the first. That's something I need to work on. I found a pace calculator online and determined that, if I run the entire half marathon with the pace I ran tonight, I will finish at about 2:27. That is exciting, considering last year's half marathon time was 2:41! I'm hoping I might be able to do it even a little faster, what with the energy of the day. I always run faster during races.

I have three more long runs until the half. I need to push through and keep running the entire distance. I want the last few miles to be strong and not significantly slower. I don't want to crawl over the finish line, I want to RUN over the finish line.

Distance: 10:01
Time: 1:52:20
Pace: 11:13

Happy birthday to my sister! Love you, Sissy! ♥

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! Nice job on the 10 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! just found your blog thru my college friend Leesha Heins. I just got into running and am excited to follow your journey! I am out of running temporarily due to an injury and I am soooo bummed! But hope to be back soon!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth! Thanks for your comment! It took me about two years to really enjoy running, but I'm really glad I kept at it. Now I don't ever want to stop! :)

    I hope you're able to get out and running again soon!

    ReplyDelete