Thursday, September 2, 2010

Romeo Peach Festival 5k

What a day I had! I was bitten by a spider after getting out of the shower this morning. Then, at work, someone ran into the gas meter, and we had to evacuate the building. I almost got hit by a van on my way home from work. On my way to the race, I realized I'd forgotten my iPod, so I had to turn around to get it so I could track it on Nike+.

Then, when I get to Romeo, my Maps App gives me the wrong directions. I turn around twice, and try to find it, only for it to have me stop in the middle of a field. I stopped at a gas station and asked a man where the high school was. He sipped his coffee, and answered, "Honey, I don't even know where *I* am." Ok, then. He flagged down a police vehicle and they gave me directions.

I finally got there and picked up my race packet. This is the best race t-shirt I've ever gotten:


















Running a race by myself is never as much fun as running it with someone else. I kind of just stand around and watch people before the start, and then grab some water, a banana and leave afterwards. It was a quick run, and I'd probably do it again. The humidity was at about 500%, which made for a very sweaty, exhausting run. It was VERY hilly, which I did not know before hand. It's probably just as well.... I might not have wanted to do it if I'd known. A lot of it was on dirt roads, which was kind of nice. I really should have run on Monday or Tuesday to keep my legs loose - my calves and shins were screaming during the first mile or so.

I took two walk breaks on hills. One for 10 seconds and one for 25 seconds. I would like to know which genius decided the course though... the finish line was about a mile away from the start line, and nearly everyone parked at the start line. So, I had to walk about a mile after running 3.1 miles. Dumb. If that had been my first 5k race, that would have been really painful. I bet some people were pretty sore by the time they got to their cars!

I took this pic afterwards to show the Red Faced Awesomeness. I did not intentionally open my eyes wider than normal, but I do apologize if any of you are scared by it.




















Distance: 3.1 miles
Time: 31:59
Pace: 10:18

I came in 351st out of 455.

4 comments:

  1. He doesn't know where *he* is? ROTFL! I do love that shirt. Awesome. And speaking of awesome, your red face definitely is! Strange that the finish line wasn't the same as the start line. Even me, a non-runner, thinks that is weird. I'm not scared of your eyes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your red-faced awesomeness!! I wish I could have been there to cheer you on! If only I lived closer! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your eyes didn't scare me either, but they did make me laugh. Only because I look like that in pics sometimes. One of the joys of having big eyes! 8)

    ReplyDelete