Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snowy Day

We are in the midst of a snow storm! It started mid-morning and is supposed to last through the night.

I had been planning my long run for a week. I knew I had Tuesday off so that was the day to do it! Getting into the swing of working again is taking a little time. This weekend is Youth Week(ish) at church, so I'll be busy every night and day until next Thursday. Today was my only chance to get that long run in.

I looked at the weather, and it said that at 12pm it would be a warm 27 degrees farenheight (it appears you can spell it either farenheight or farenheit. I'm guessing one is American and the other is Canadian/British. Do you know which is which? Enlighten me!). I opened the shutters to keep an eye out for snowflakes while I played my silly Facebook games. The snow started at about 10am, so I decided to get my running gear on and head out. My plan was to be finished before there was too much snow to run in.

It was nowhere near 27 degrees, and it felt like it was in the single digits. I wore gloves, but my fingers were so cold they hurt. I found myself wishing I'd worn mittens on top of the gloves. I pulled my neck warmer thing up over my nose, and that did help a lot. I had a little, two inch area of my face uncovered - just enough to see. I contemplated only doing 5k and heading home. Who could blame me with this weather? Someone who runs in the falling snow in temperatures like this has a screw loose.

The human body is so amazing. After a cold mile and a half, my hands started sweating. I took my gloves off. My face and neck were too warm, so I pushed my neckwarmer down and unzipped my jacket a little. It does not make sense to me that I was comfortable enough to run in the snow with no gloves on and my jacket half unzipped. Amazing thing, the human body!

I keep taking new routes in our subdivision to keep things from getting boring. I did a loop around the house of about 1.5 miles. When passing the house the first time, I quickly decided that was a bad idea. I started thinking, "Oh! Next time around will be 3 miles... I can stop then!" After that, I turned away from home. If I wanted to go home early, I'd have to run at least a mile to get there.

I did do some loops around the lower part of our sub. I followed my footprints in the snow. There were some sidewalks where there were more than one set of footprints, so I'd try to find my own.

It was a pretty good run! I felt pretty tired the whole time, but finished strong. I was getting ice crystals on my eyelashes, which made me happy. I remember that happening a lot when I was a kid. I couldn't open my eyes all the way, it got so bad. And looking through sparkly ice-vision gave the run almost a romantic feel to it. Actually, no, no it didn't. It was a run, and it was difficult, and I had to push it to finish it. But the frozen eyelashes part was fun.

Distance: 8.03
Time: 1:29:12
Pace: 11:06
Weight: 148.6

No comments:

Post a Comment