Saturday, February 20, 2010

I Took Ten Days Off

I had a very busy week last week, and the beginning of this week. With starting a new job and events at church every day for a full week, running sat on the back burner. My legs started to ache after a few days. "Just run! Do a short one, but RUN!" Nope, sorry, I need to rest. Saturday afternoon came, with nothing left on the agenda, and instead of jumping on the treadmill and doing a 5k, I just sat on the couch. I'm not against resting; I think we all need it. I'm hardly a work-aholic or an over-achiever. I love sitting on the couch, watching a good movie, with a German Shepherd head in my lap. Doesn't get much better than that.

However, taking 10 days off from running is not a good idea for me. I wish I'd done at least 2 or 3 maintenance runs on the treadmill.

I resigned myself to run today. Since I missed a long run this week, I figured, I'll set my iPod for 8 miles. Maybe I'll do 10, after all, I haven't increased my distance for at least a few weeks. Today's the day to do it!!

Well, let me tell you, that after 10 days off, my cardio took a vacation. During the first mile, my calves screamed at me. It got warm, so I took off my outer layer and tied my jacket around my waist. That helped so much, but then my bottle of Gatorade and my cell phone in my pockets stabbed me in the thighs with every bounce.

I watched the Biggest Loser this morning on Hulu. They were running on treadmills and most of them were really gasping and panting. I thought how it had been a while since I've run that hard. Well, I did today. My lungs fought me with every step.

I managed to do 5k. Maybe in a few days I can do another long run, but not today. And not after 10 days off.

Distance: 3.12 miles
Time: 33:52
Pace: 10:51

No comments:

Post a Comment